This is such a simple recipe, absolutely anyone can do it. Being precise with weights and quantities doesn’t matter too much. It will still work if these things are exact. This is the absolute simplest version, but there’s a few extra steps added at the end if you want to enhance it a bit. Just be aware that the cooking time is 5 hours, so be prepared in advance.
- Set your oven to 140°C
- Put your lamb in a roasting tray.
- Mix everything else together until you have a smooth, orange tandoori yoghurt marinade.
- Cover the lamb completely in the marinade.
- Cover the tray with the lamb tightly with foil.
- Put it in the oven for 4.5 hours.
- Congratulations. You now have tandoori lamb that’s falling off the bone. Serve with Basmati rice and your choice of sides. And be sure to spoon the sauce from the pan all over it.
Optional pimp steps
- Do steps 1-4 the night before and leave it in the fridge overnight to marinate.
- After the lamb has cooked, drain the liquid into a small pot, skim the fat from the surface and place on the stove. Bring to a rolling simmer and allow to reduce for 20-30 minutes. While the sauce reduces, turn your oven up to 240°C and put the lamb back in, uncovered, for 20 minutes to crisp up. Take the lamb out and pour the reduced sauce back over the lamb.
1 x 2kg leg of lamb (but weight doesn’t really matter)
350g of plain yoghurt
2-3 tablespoons tandoori paste, or powder
1 thumb of ginger, grated
4 cloves of garlic, grated
4 tablespoons olive oil
4 teaspoons salt